Notice: Undefined index: page in /data/www/siliconguide/qa/thread.php on line 13
system shut down box
 Guides:  Drivers | Questions & Answers | Software | Write to Us
Technical Questions and Answers Silicon Guide
Search SiliconGuide:

system shut down box

Questions & Answers > Windows
penny on August 22, 2003
system shut down box

hello i have windows xp. my computer is about 2 years old. we have 2 comps in our apt so i had mine shut down for a while. last week i used it and it was fine. this week everytime i log onto the internet or try to view anything the very minute im logged on and switching pages the system shut down box appears and gives me 45 seconds before shut down. no matter what i want to do its about 1 minute after logging on it shuts down. I have used my recovery cd and completely emptied my computer back to when i bought it but im not sure what to do if this doesnt work. Any suggestions! ty penny
Eric Georgieff on August 23, 2003
RE: system shut down box

Hi Penny,

You are almost certainly infected by the new "Blaster" worm that has been spreading like prairie fire recently, affecting Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT and Windows Server 2003 machines. If you are running Windows XP, the symptoms include a message telling you that you have 45 seconds to shut down any programs you are running and save your work before the computer reboots. It claims some service has terminated unexpectedly. The exact message for Windows XP machines is as follows:

This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Time before shutdown: 00:00:45

Message: Windows must restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly

There are four things you should do to solve this problem and protect yourself from future infections:

1. Activate a firewall.
Windows XP comes with one built in. To activate it, go Start>Settings>Control Panel, double click on Network Connections and right click on your active internet connections. From the context menu that appears, select "Properties" and then choose the "Advanced" tab. In the "Internet Connection Firewall" section, check off "Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet". Then click "OK" to activate your settings.

If you are running another version of Windows, you will need to purchase a third party firewall such as ZoneAlarm, BlackIce Defender, etc...

2. Patch your operating system.
To prevent future viruses from exploiting this vulnerability in the Windows operating system, you should download and install a patch provided by Microsoft.

If you are running Windows XP, you may download the patch directly from the SiliconGuide File Center by following this link:
ftp://siliconguide.com/qa/WindowsXP-KB823980-x86-ENU.exe

If you are running another version of Windows, visit the Microsoft Windows update page at:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

3. Remove the worm from your system.
Although the worm cannot do any damage with the firewall activated and that you cannot be infected by other strains of viruses that exploit the same vulnerability now that your system has been patched, it is a good idea to completely remove it from your system since it is wasting precious system memory (RAM), that could slow down your computer.

Symantec has provided a removal tool which may be downloaded from them at:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe

4. Insall anti-virus software.
To prevent such infections from occuring again, it is always a good idea to install some anti-virus software. The most renowned anti-virus makers are Symantec and McAfee.

For further information, please consult the Microsoft security bulletin.

I hope this helps,

Eric Georgieff
Lilith on November 16, 2003
thanks

Thank you so much for this detailed info. This worm was so bloody irritating you cannot even imagine it!:) (Or you can probably...;)
sara on December 11, 2003

ok i downloaded the patch for msblast but i cant in stall it cause the Cryptographic is not runnin on this computer how do i fix this

Thank You
Sara
ali on January 14, 2004
you download

you download FIX BLASTER this file has benn scanning your computer and deleted viruses...

alii in kosova

thanks
Danielle on January 27, 2004

I had a blaster worm a while ago and fixed everything. However, the internet still shuts down on me every hour or so. Funnily enough, Messenger still continues to work. But I need to restart computer to get back online. Any ideas?
nick on March 6, 2004

i bought my pc in 2001 and it came with winxp home and i decided to change it to winxp pro it worked fine for the first few months and now when i go to start and click shutdown it does not shut down, restart or standby. i havent made any changes to the control panel.
amar on March 11, 2004

Thanx on the help man, BELIEVE it or not i formated my comp to try and get rid of any spyware, non lethal viruses, etc... , but then this ass hole worm infects my comp?? i didnt even go on internet... i was about to cry man, i have a project due at school and i cant finish ti without comp.. lol, anyway thanx a million for the help.

Also while im on the topic, Norton antivirus is kinda wierd. It usually stuffs up my comp somehow, if anyone is loking for anti-virus software, i wouldnt sujest it, but u can try it.
gretchen on March 19, 2004

TY SO MUCH! i restored my computer yesterday to the way it came when i bought it, and all of a sudden this started happening. phew. thanks very much, hopefully now that i've changed the settings it wont happen anymore!
Mark Roberts on April 12, 2004
virus

Hi,
i think i have the msblaster virus (i keep getting the This system is shutting down. And also my computer is running very slowly)
But i have tried to install that patch but evrytime i try to install it the install process jst stops and the box dissapears. also i cant run virus checks as the same problem occurs,it jst closes! Also the fixblast jst says there is no virus but there has to be? Ive enabled the firewall protection aswell. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Mark

p.s. im running on win xp pro
Mark Roberts on April 12, 2004

sorry i meant xp home
Rouscou on April 20, 2004

Hi@all,
yep... sound like my prbl. yesterday I'm running XP-Prof.SP2Beta but the weird thing is that I get a CPU usage for 100% then I start the Task Manager to see which appl. causes this CPU Utl. it's always a svchost.exe with a process of 99 after I push the End Processes button I get an pop up window with " your System shout's down after 45sec." I did this few times " Ending the Processes" and finally my XP is running well after I update the McAfee Virus Scanner and after the scanner tool FixBlast.exe it's not for sure but it seems to help, all I know is enable the internal firewall and keep your VirusScanner always up to date.
Brgds:Rouscou
Lorna Lomas on April 29, 2004

I have just upgraded my pc to Windows xp pro. Upgrading straight over Windows 98se. Now when i go to shut the pc down it wont shut down by itself. I get the old Phrase
Lorna Lomas on April 29, 2004

*it is now safe to turn off your pc* then i have to turn it off manually.Could anyone please help me with this please???
ms on May 1, 2004

my w2000 started blast shut down 4/30/04. My computer has all Windows security updatres except Security Update for Windows 2000 (KB835732)as my computer cannot install this patch. Any help?
Elaine on May 3, 2004

Hi

I think i may have got a virus. After logging on to the internet i get a shutdown box appearing asking me to log off. The pc then shuts down. I am using Windows XP. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Elaine
Tom on May 6, 2004

Cannot install Kb835732 get message something like

HKLM\System\currentcontrolset\services\eventlog\dsystem\kerberos

c\:winnt\$ntinstallkb835732$\reg00003
Eric Georgieff on May 6, 2004

Most of you who have recently posted to this thread are probably infected by the new "Sasser" virus and not "Blaster".

The symptoms of these two viruses are similar (frequent reboots, NT Authority\System messages, etc...) As with the Blaster virus, it is also spread without any user interaction, due to a vulnerability in Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

To remove the virus from your system and to protect against future infections, please follow these steps.

1. Remove the virus from your system.
McAfee has released a program that removes this particular virus. It may be downloaded from them at:
http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

2. Patch your operating system.
To prevent being reinfected with this virus it is critical that you download the latest patches directly from Microsoft.

Direct links are provided below depending on what operating system you are running.

Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1
Microsoft Windows 2000 (Service pack 2, 3 or 4)

For any other versions of Windows visit:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-011.mspx

3. Activate a firewall.
Windows XP comes with one built in. To activate it, go Start>Settings>Control Panel, double click on Network Connections and right click on your active internet connections. From the context menu that appears, select "Properties" and then choose the "Advanced" tab. In the "Internet Connection Firewall" section, check off "Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet". Then click "OK" to activate your settings.

Activating a firewall will prevent your system from being infected and will minimise the damage this virus can cause if it is already present on your machine.

4. Insall anti-virus software.
To prevent such infections from occuring again, it is always a good idea to install some anti-virus software. The most renowned anti-virus makers are Symantec and McAfee.

For further information, please consult the Microsoft security bulletin.

I hope this helps,

Eric Georgieff
Eric Georgieff on May 7, 2004

Tom,

You could try running the windows update instead of applying the patches directly (Start>Windows Update).

If that fails, I'm not sure what to do. However, activating a firewall and installing anti-virus software should in itself be sufficient to keep these types of viruses at bay.

Eric Georgieff
Lenna on May 10, 2004

Everytime I go to shut down the box comes up and there is alot of things on it that I don't know where or what they are it takes forever to shut down.
Ayane on May 13, 2004

OK for everyone,
whenever the blaster kicks in and starts counting down, go to Start/Run
Type "shutdown -a" ENTER while the message about shutting down is on the screen. This will stop the count down. Next go to this site: http://www.ex.ac.uk/its/resnet/virus.htm and select the english version (assuming u don't want to read this in french or something). This site contains the "fixblast" a program that will take out the blaster worm. After u dl the program run it. After it finds something hit u need to turn off ur system restore. To do this (assuming u have XP) Disable ‘System Restore’ by clicking on ‘My computer’ with right hand mouse button.Click on ‘Properties’ from menu.Click on ‘System Restore’ tab.
Click on ‘Turn off System Restore’ (this will put a tick in adjacent box).
Click ‘Ok’ and ‘Yes’
Run the fix blast again
restart your computer.
and run fix blast one last time (a total of three) after the third time u can turn back on system restore
Good luck hope this helps
Leonard H. MACK on May 17, 2004

My Microsoft Windows XP Professional keeps shutting down on me when I am right in the middle of researching issues. Why does it do this, and what can I do to stop this from happening EVER again. This is very frustrating. I am right in the middle of something and W-H-A-M!!!!! What's up with this? H-E-L-P! I await you reply. Thanks.
justin on May 18, 2004

hi everyone my computer just got infected with that stupid virus that shutsdown ur pc. its gives me 1 minute to save. then i restart and i will do that every single time i turn it on. what should i do??? oh yea my computer is XP and it sucks...lol. it has trouble opening programs when i first start it up. my firewall wont turn on. and the dam system 32 folder keeps opening every time i log on. wat should i do about that?? thx for the help.
Ges on May 19, 2004

Hi everyone. My computer refuses to shut down since I had the sasser virus. After I hit shutdown on the menu it just goes back to the desktop. I'm also getting a message saying the system 32 file has a virus. I've tried reinstalling the os (windows 2000 professional) but it's made no difference. Also now seem unable to access the internet properly. Whenever hit back button it just goes to this page cannot be displayed. Any ideas?.
justin on May 19, 2004

hi guys. my computer is still running cheap. i was woundering if someone could give me steps on reformating my computer. i would be most happy. thx alot. bye.
justin on May 19, 2004

i forgot my computer is Windows XP home.
Amanda on May 19, 2004

everytime i'm on the internet, it starts 60 second. I download over 10 the worms/virus to get rid of it system shut down. DONT WORK. i wanna get rid of please. PLEASE HELP!
alina benedict on May 20, 2004
system shut down

Hi,

I’m pretty sure I have the worm. I have Win XP, I downloaded the patch and the removal tool but I didn’t disable the System Restore and I thing the worm was restored, anyhow, at the moment I can’t even open Windows, I turn the computer on, the Windows screen appears after which everything turns black, nothing happens after. I think I’m in big trouble. Dose anybody know if it is still possible to recover my files and how? Please help!!! TY alina
gabriel on May 27, 2004

I have windows xp and for some dum reason everytime I turn it on after a while it shuts down on me automatically.. can anyone please help? thanks
sheri on May 28, 2004

hi to everybody,
i don't know how someone steal my admin. login passwd and changed it. now when i am trying to login as an administrator it won't log me in. actually i know the trick in which you have to gave 5 login names at the time of installation, but unfortunately this computer is a gift from someone very special to me. and i can't ask her to tell me the login name and passwords. kindly help me to pull me out before this embarassing situation in fornt of my so very special girlfriend.
eddie on May 31, 2004
RE: crashing

i got a compaq presario 4400us that i try to upgrade to winxp pro, and did but every time i try do the windows update it crashes, i update the bios, and it still crashes when i am installing win.update help me if you can
Jean on June 6, 2004

My computer has windows xp and is also showing the shut down box and also when I boot up it shows a message that there is no winsock 2.2 exe. What has happened to cause this? I have trying to download windows updates and it starts shutting down before I can finish. Please help!!
usman on June 7, 2004

Hi all,
yep... sound like my prbl. yesterday I'm running XP-Prof.SP2Beta but the weird thing is that I get a CPU usage for 100% then I start the Task Manager to see which appl. causes this CPU Utl. it's always a svchost.exe with a process of 99 after I push the End Processes button I get an pop up window with " your System shout's down after 45sec." I did this few times " Ending the Processes" and finally my XP is running well after I update the McAfee Virus Scanner and after the scanner tool FixBlast.exe it's not for sure but it seems to help, all I know is enable the internal firewall and keep your VirusScanner always up to date.

plz send me a removal tool for this problem plz plz plz
Jean on June 7, 2004

How can you update anything when your computer starts shutting down? Before I can get into updating anything, that annoying box pops up and says the system is shutting down. I have downloaded tools from the Symantec website to get rid of the blaster and sasser worms and it shows that my computer doesn't have these. What other recent virus could be causing this? Thanks for whatever help anyone can give me. Also when I boot up, it is still showing there is not winsock 2.2 exe. Btw, I have windows xp.
Hasmukh on June 10, 2004

Thanks a lot.
It has solved my problem.i formated my pc , but the winxp shut down after one minute, i didnot not wheter it was virus or something else.
whatever u saved my life .

thank u very much.
ashley on June 12, 2004

hi. my pc is a windows xp home edition.it keeps shutting down so we phoned pc world. they changed the motherboard and the 1 they put in didnt have the internet so they changed it. but when we had the 1 without internet it never shut down. now we have internet it keeps shutting down.
kim on June 13, 2004

Hi,
My computer recently got affected with the Sasser virus. It took me a while to get rid of it but I think it has finally gone (if anyone else thinks they have it go to http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1590273,00.asp for information on how to remove it).
My computer has stopped shutting down on me however when I try to restart, shutdown or put my computer on standby it just goes back to the desktop and I have to shut it down using the power button, which is annoying because I can't leave my pc on standby anymore. I have checked the power options and everything but they all seem fine. I recently re-installed windows xp pro as well so I dont know if this will have altered anything. Does anyone know whats wrong?
Thanks
Dude on July 2, 2004

I just got the worm and haven't yet got rid of it. I do know a way to stop it from shutting down though. Go to Start|Run and type in Shutdown -A

Make sure there is a space between shutdown and -
A.
omid on July 14, 2004
Shut Down Box

hi, while i conect to the internet my computer shows a box that says your system will restart in 60 seconds . then i see a countr 60 59 58 57 56 & ... 0 ----> restart !
i setup a new windows and format my win drive but it didint fix.
what i can do?
i hear that thre is a new software : shut down blaster that repairs this problem.
is it?
HELP plz !!!
Thanx
Francisca on July 14, 2004

I had a problem with my system this morning but the worse of it all is that immediately i switch on the system and it gets to the desktop and starts shuting down immediately. I run a windows XP Prof.
Gramma Rose on August 5, 2004
Stand By

Hi;
Go to put it in stand by won't, mhave to boot it every time.
Thank You
Steve on August 27, 2004

HELP!! I believe my girlfriend has the Sasser virus. We tried entering "shutdown -a" to stop the pc from shutting down so that we could begin the removal process but it still shuts within 1 minute. How can we run the "Sasser removal" program if we can't get the pc to stop shutting down? HELP PLEASE! I thank you in advance.
tushar on August 28, 2004

Hi i am using windows xp and i want to get a software using that i can be able to set the sleeping timer means automatically system will be shut down after selected time by me.plz help me out.
LESLEY on September 6, 2004

EVERYTIME I TRY AND GET ON MY COMPUTER TO DO SOMETHING IT LETS ME STAY ON FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES AND THAN THE SHUT DOWN SCREEN APPEARS AND IT TAKES ONE MINUTE BEFORE IT SHUTS DOWN AND IT KEEPS ON POPPING UP. HOW DO I GET THE SHUT DOWN SCREEN NOT TO POP UP ANYMORE.
Dave Smith on September 6, 2004

Hi,

I get a similar problem but as soon as i click on the start menu button a box comes up saying "Your computer will shutdown in 5..4..3..2..1

As such I dont get the time to do anything and when i do manage to get something started it shuts down in the middle of it.

I have tried going into safe mode but the same thing happens.

Is there a tool that can be run before windows starts of something??

I'm running Windows 2000

cheers
LESLEY on September 7, 2004

HI. I JUST WROTE SOMETHING ABOUT MY COMPUTER KEEPS ON SHUTTING DOWN AND IT TAKES A MINUTE BEFORE IT SHUTS DOWN AND I WAS WONDERING HOW I COULD STOP IT FROM SHUTTING DOWN AND I HAVEN'T GOT A REPLY BACK YET. I'M RUNNING WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION
Steve on September 7, 2004

Hello people!

(For Windows XP Users)

In Regards to the PC shutting down after one minute. I too had this problem and I discovered it was caused by a malicious worm known as the (Sasser worm)

The first thing you need to do is to stop your PC from automatically shutting down. To do this, follow these steps:

Press the "Start" button, and then select "Run" .

Type "shutdown -a" (without the quotes). That's the "shutdown" command, with the "-a" option, which stands for "abort the pending shutdown".

Once the countdown begins telling you that the PC is going to shutdown in 59 seconds, etc. Press "OK" to stop the shutdown from occuring.

NOTE: You will need to repeat the steps above anytime YOU start your PC, until you have effectively finished removing the worm as described below.

Once you have stopped it from shutting down, navigate to the following website:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.mspx

Carefully follow the steps on that website to repair and remove the worm. Please see the important note below! :-)

(IMPORTANT NOTE: It is VERY important when running the (Sasser Removal program),to disable your system restore FIRST. If you do not do this, your PC will likely Re-infect itself as the files in system Restore are protected from being cleaned unless System Restore has been disabled during the Virus Cleaning Process. You can Re-Enable the System Restore once you have successfully cleaned the worm from your system).

For information on how to disable System Restore in windows XP, please navigate to the following website:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001111912274039?Open&src=sec_doc_nam&docid=2001012513122239&nsf=tsgeninfo.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

I have personally followed these steps and successfully repaired my PC and removed the worm.

I hope this helps at least one person. :-))
Good Luck and happy computing.

Thanks,
Steve
tony on September 16, 2004

is there any way to stop the shut down box before fixing everything im running in windows 2k
Ste on October 2, 2004

hi, i quck way of stopping your computer shutting down is to get up CMD ( command prompt, ms dos not on xp) you can do this by clicking start, run, type cmd (xp only) then type, shutdown -a that will stop you computer form restarting if not then i dont know sorry

please visit my website www.sonygaming.tk
Tom on October 7, 2004

Hey I think i have a hybrid of the sasser/blaster virus....I had it about a year ago with the 60 second countdown and now its has advanced to a five second countdown. The funny thing is i run the XP Pro firewall and had just downloaded Service Pack 2 in the week before i got the virus. FIX blast doesn't find anything, every patch that windows offers is for the old service pack and i can't find anything in the registry that even remotely looks like a vuris....Any ideas anyone (besides reformatting) I NEED MY PC
Next Page >>Page 1 of 2

Didn't find what you were looking for on this page?
Browse all Windows related questions
Browse all Questions and Answers
Copyright © 1999 - 2016 SiliconPharm Corporation, All Rights Reserved