Notice: Undefined index: page in /data/www/siliconguide/qa/thread.php on line 13
CD Drive won't stay closed?
 Guides:  Drivers | Questions & Answers | Software | Write to Us
Technical Questions and Answers Silicon Guide
Search SiliconGuide:

Questions & Answers > PC Hardware
Billy on September 17, 2004

Short story, We've had a horrible week in the office. During the clean up crews visit, they had a mass of items plugged into one circuit of our office area, and pop goes the breaker. After unplugging some of the items and resetting the breaker, one of my coworkers machines CD drives kicks open.

*shrug* I close it.. and it reopens. It just wants to stay open.

Every time i close it empty, the light flashes a few times like it usually does, then it kicks the door/tray open. I flung a CD in it and the light flashes about twice as long before it opens again. Anyone have any advice? I'm half assuming it's the hardware, but i know how nuts windows can act after not being shut down properly and just powered off.

It's a Dell Dimension 4400.. and it's a CD drive, not a DVD.. *shrug*

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Billy
John on October 3, 2004
RE: CD Drive won't stay closed?

I have the exact same problem. Please post a message if you find an answer.
Scott Coffman on October 8, 2004

I have the same problem too, except mine is with a Sanyo DVW-5000 DVD/VHS combo unit.
OS on October 21, 2004

I had the same problem and I held the tray shut while shutting down and it corrected the problem with mine
Valkem on October 26, 2004

well after letting one of the guys kick and curse with it a day, i took my turn and i used the manual reset button... you know.. .Stick the paperclip in it to get it to give back your CD after the machine goes up in Smoke.. Well the first time did nothing.. once the door caught it had the same problem... but being stubborn, i tried again, after the machine was off and manually closed the door. After rebooting the machine that time, it worked fine, and the guy hasn't had any problems since.

*shrug*

good luck
Steve on May 26, 2006

I had this same problem. I put in a CD, closed the drive, and then opened a file on the CD.

Then I pushed the button on the drive to eject the CD, manually closed the drive, and the problem was resolved.

I restarted my PC to be sure everything was ok and all was fine.

I suggest you give this a shot if you have this issue.
Cliff on January 21, 2007

Turned out the button was getting stuck in the "in" position.

I fixed it by takeing the drive out, taking off the front cover to the drive, then put it back on. Problem fixed.
sam on April 3, 2007

cd tray not closing
jason on April 12, 2007

my trey would not stay closed turned out the bezel or face plate if you will was not properly installed. I had switched out the white one for the black one. I snapped the face plate on the rest of the way and the trey stays closed now.
janelle on June 12, 2007

i cant get my cd drive to be close either. its a HP Pavillion a1130n.
someone please help!
William on September 9, 2007

The DVD drive on my HP Pavillion won't stay closed. The CD drive works fine, but the DVD drive will slowly close when you push the button and will sit there for a couple of seconds then slowly open again.
mc on December 16, 2007

i too, have an hp pavilion a1130n and am having the same problem with the cd-writer portion of my desktop. it closes blinks green, and then pops open again. i've troubleshooted all the above suggestions both with a cd and without. i've also removed the drive from the computer and fiddled with the face plate, etc. (although i was unable to take it off completely.) still no go! i'm very frustrated and am wondering if i need to purchase a new disc drive?
mc on December 16, 2007

after fiddling some more, now the green light won't even blink when i put a cd in. argh! help!!!
epsilon222 on December 19, 2007

I just fixed mine by relieving pressure that was being applied to the bezel. The face of the computer case was slightly misaligned. After squaring everything up and checking for even spacing all the way around the drive, it was back to normal.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas
Tommy on December 28, 2007

i have a hp pavilion dv6000 (laptop) dvd/rw rom and it won't stay shut. the face plate is aligned correctly. first it wouldn't open and now it won't stay shut. how can i get it to stay closed please help.

hp wants to charge me almost 200 dollars for a new one i would like to avoid this.
~CH33S3~LM on December 28, 2007

try disconnecting it in the device manager under the IDE devices. It worked for me when i was having problems with my drive
thewhell on January 29, 2008

I had the same problem with my gateway 500 DVD drive.

I fixed it by going to "My Computer" and with a CD in the tray and the tray open I duble clicked on the DVD drive icon. I got an error and a request to load a disk in the drive. I puched the open/close button, the tray closed, and the CD loaded.

good luck

TheWhell
just on May 19, 2008

ez fix after reading other posts, here. The front bezel was binding up when attempting to close. A gentle nudge to encourage it to fully close and it is 100%.

Thanks to all others that shared their experience.
rick on June 21, 2008

Thank you "just" for your solution. I had tried everything, then saw your post. Fully closing the door of the tray solved the problem
Brian on July 2, 2008

This post worked for me! I have an HP Pavillion a1600n. Thanx TheWell!

"I had the same problem with my gateway 500 DVD drive.

I fixed it by going to "My Computer" and with a CD in the tray and the tray open I duble clicked on the DVD drive icon. I got an error and a request to load a disk in the drive. I puched the open/close button, the tray closed, and the CD loaded.

good luck

TheWhell"
ant on July 4, 2008

ok my driver wouldnt open, i manually opened it, but now it closes if there isnt a cd in it but when here is it keeps openin, what shud i do???
Mayson on August 13, 2008

i got my cd drive open but now it won't close
Eric on August 16, 2008

Hi Mayson,

The easiest solution might just be to install a new CD or DVD drive in your computer. They are quite inexpensive now days (less than 30$) and replacing the drive would most likely solve your problem.

Eric.
Lord VileCore on August 23, 2008

I have a Toshiba Equium laptop (I'm broke :P) and today, for no reason at all (hasn't been dropped or roughly-handled since I bought it) the DVD drive won't always stay shut. In fact, it seems to only close on its own will. It's not a "sliding" DVD drive; you press a button, it unclicks and you pull it out. Well, I push it in and it "unclicks" and pops back out. It makes horrible floppy-disk-sounding grinds as well. I'm not explaining myself too well here, and it's probably not as bad as it sounds, but I'm in no position to buy a new one. So, if any of you has any advice, it would be much appreciated.
noneya on October 14, 2008

I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 and have the same kind of problem. It just pops open randomly. Its been doing it so long that Im used to closing it often or I just leave it open. Did you find a way to fix it?
clitoric@gmail.com on October 14, 2008

yeah i have the same problem too.cd drive keeps opening with no reason at all randomly..i close it back and it may open it again next second with its own will or accept the close =) it happens 3-5 times a week or so.. it is not too old(6months) and besides the laptop has been showing this behaviour since i bought it..havent dropped it and got it with its box so there is no possbility that it has been dropped before i bought it..Toshiba A200-23U PSAE6E
..it is still in warranty time but i dont want to give it to service cos i am afraid they might cause bigger problems when they open it..please let me know if you have an idea or solution

clitoric@gmail.com
Pedro Sousa on November 1, 2008

Exactly the same as clitoric. Toshiba A200 PSAE6E, especially with audio CDs the drive opens everytime. Has 6 months, warranty, but I'm afraid to be 3 months without laptop, if I return it to Toshiba to fix this.
Why don't they just copy Apple hardware, just like they (try to) do with software... At least it works
Heather on November 9, 2008

I have spent over two hours trying to get the CD drive to stay closed (it would close but immediately re-opened again). Thank you to 'just' - this solution worked. I am absolutely not a tekkie. I did not know what the front bezel was so looked up and realised this was the front cover on the tower. I pushed this quite hard from the side and manually pushed the cd drawer in. It stayed in!!! It now opens and shuts when I press the button and works! Thank you.
surprised.. on November 26, 2008

You know such a simple solution i was sure wouldnt be viable..
BUT! my drive is still closed..
thanks for the brass taps thinking Just...
Kelly on December 16, 2008

I have an HP Pavilion ze4800. My CD drive won't stay closed either. I, also, have just been leaving it open out of shear frustration with it. Nothing works. Maybe I'll buy a new one. Before I do, any new suggestions?
asdf on December 31, 2008

I have the HP s6320f. I was just burning a dvd. I didn't do anything new, but for some reason the dvd drive just won't close. I even tried right clicking on E: and hitting close tray, but that didn't work either. It goes in about half way, and then just stops. Then, it juat pushes itself back out again. I havent burnt any dvds yet today. I burned 4 yesterday. Is it just being overworked? Does anyone have any ideas?
The Shadow on January 11, 2009
RE: CD Drive won't stay closed? - Toshiba A-215

Yep, same problem. Toshiba Satellite A-215. Just's solution does not work as far as I can tell with my Toshiba. I have found that just leaving it open for about two minutes or so solves the problem, when it happens. It is annoying, but better that then having to take it to the theiving, un-knowing "Geek Squad" at Best Buy.
The Shadow on January 11, 2009

Pedro Sousa, Apple hardware is not all that reliable in and of itself. It is basicly made by the same manufacturer in order to make it work together better (I give them props for that), but it is not better in and of itself. The companies that specifically work on individual parts tend to make exceptional parts. It is just getting them to work together with other hardware that is the problem. Maybe this falls outside of that window. These individual manufacturers do need to step it up. This is a huge reason why Vista is getting so much criticism - hardware working with it. Vita has modern hardware compatability technology, and gave warning to hardware manufacturers. Again they just need to step it up.
WOW that was long...feel free to tell me that I do not know what I am talking about. ;)
Sorry to get off topic.
Awesomeness on January 16, 2009

Hey everyone. I got an Hp Pavilion DV6000. I dont know why because the face of the drive isnt misalligned or anything. It never closes.
I had to scotch tape it shut for 6 months and its gotten annoying.
Pushing never works because i manually do it and the tape does it for me. It reads discs and works super fast. The fact it wont close is the only annoying part, besides the discoloration of the left click button for pressing to hard :) . Someone please help!!!
honoguy on February 4, 2009

fixed it. My emachines cd drive opened on its own and would not stay shut, it kept opening. I looked inside and saw a small plastic piece in the bay and this then I closed the cd drive and it stayed closed!! Check your drive for little small pieces of junk which is triggering your drive to open. It is that simple.
Banzai on February 7, 2009

For HP users who have their drives opening automatically without trigger, go to start-search- autoplay- and then make sure that it is disabled. This will stop that annoying drawer opening!
belleeholdan on February 18, 2009

my drive will not close at all. It gets half way then stops daren't put too much pressure on in case i break it completely. Can anyone help
Doc on February 21, 2009

For me, same problem started two days ago: Tried a few things assuming malware that didn't work. Then, I looked at the manual override switch (plastic lever behind little hole) and notice it was extended forward. I pushed it back with a paper clip by inserting it through the hole. I pushed to close the drive and viola! It was as advertised again. Thanks to you all.
suresh on February 25, 2009

my computer having the problem
Kimberly on March 15, 2009

I have a new HP m9426f...just got it before Christmas. Mine has been doing the same exact thing...The cd/dvd drive will start opening and closing, continuously, for no reason...It started doing it after a BAD lightening storm we had...Ive tried everything that everyone has posted, but to no avail...Until I figure it out,I have temporarily DISABLED it...You can go to "My Computer" and right click with mouse on the drive that is causing the problem...and you can 'enable' it again very easily the same way. I have a VISTA PC...If you are not able to access it that way, you can also go to Control Panel, then System and Maintenance then Device Manager, click on the + sign under the CD/DVD Drives to show all drives, and right click there to DISABLE, and same thing again to ENABLE..hope this can help someone...If anyone finds SOLUTION, please let me know...
Patricia on March 23, 2009

opens and closes automatically..HELP
Amanda on March 31, 2009

I have the same problem. I have a Toshiba laptop & I havent had it that long maybe a month or so. My father looked at it. And he couldnot find anything. He said something about the light flashing.. My husband thinks it could just be dust.. If anyone knows anything that will help us please let me know.

Thank You
julie on April 21, 2009

how do you stop this thing opening - i have a gateway laptop with vista home premium - about a month ago i had the problem then it stopped now its started opening again and wont stay shut at all now - thanks julie
Farnia on May 10, 2009

I do have the same problem; kinda, but mines just won'y close at all. I think a piece inside of it is blocking the cd drive to close. I tryed to fix it but it gotten worst. Help please :)
Aimy Myers on June 18, 2009

i noticed everyone has this problem including me but noone has resolved the issue so wat is the point of telling everyone the same dilama over and over when noone can help
bong on June 27, 2009

I also have the same.. problem.. please help.
Bizzar bla on July 5, 2009

I have a toshiba laptop, and the CD drive stays closed for 10second exactly and then pops open again. i have tried holding it closed but that doesnt work. it gets really annoying because i cant put my laptop away in it bag because the CD drive wont stay shut. please help if you have any suggestion on what i should do... thanks...:)
Mike on July 7, 2009

i have d same issue. DVD drive stays open, refuses to close when powered on, but can be closed when shutdown. Pls what can i do to make d drive close while powered on?
Mike on July 7, 2009

My laptop (Samsung R60plus) DVD drive door stays open while powered on,
but remains closed while shutdown. D OS recognises it, i can play cd and
install programs while holding d door. Pls what can i do to make d drive door
closed while powered on?
ranjasel on July 14, 2009

Hi.. My PC too having the same problem. The CD drive wishes to stay open. when any CD is inserted it is detected but it opens in a few seconds again. I dont know whether it is due to any virus or some hardware malfunctioning. Can anybody give me some solution to solve it out?
Next Page >>Page 1 of 2

Didn't find what you were looking for on this page?
Browse all PC Hardware related questions
Browse all Questions and Answers
Copyright © 1999 - 2016 SiliconPharm Corporation, All Rights Reserved