Notice: Undefined index: page in /data/www/siliconguide/qa/thread.php on line 13
internet explorer closes on me
 Guides:  Drivers | Questions & Answers | Software | Write to Us
Technical Questions and Answers Silicon Guide
Search SiliconGuide:

Questions & Answers > Software
Nihar on December 8, 2004

Hello,

Every time I start my internet explorer, there are certain pages that will just close the program on me. I can see this coming on certain pages because I get a small white rectangular box at the top left corner next to the name of the site. After I start the page, after a couple seconds I get the box, and a couple seconds after that, it closes. How can I fix it?

thanks
Eric Georgieff on December 9, 2004
RE: internet explorer closes on me

Hum...it sounds like some Ad-ware might have installed itself onto your system. These programs install themselves automatically without your knowledge as you surf the internet with Microsoft Internet Explorer. They then do all sorts of mischevious things like opening up pop-up windows, underlining words on websites to link to advertiser websites, faking your Google web search results to point to the sites of their advertisers, etc... When too many of them install themselves they may lead your browser to become unstable as you have experienced.

There are two solutions.

1. Run the Lavasoft Ad-Aware ad-ware scanning and removal tool to rid yourself of this ad-ware. Since you will continue to use Internet Explorer after you have scanned, you will have to manually scan your machine every so often to remove the adware that will inevitably install itself.

This software may be downloaded from
ftp://ftp.download.com/pub/win95/utilities/aawsepersonal.exe

For more information about this software visit Lavasoft's website.

2. Stop using Internet Explorer all together. If the problem is with Microsoft Internet Explorer, using an alternative browser would solve the problem. It would also prevent Ad-ware from installing itself in the future. You might also find that these alternative browsers are in fact better than Internet Explorer.

I recommend the Mozilla Firefox 1.0 browser which may be downloaded at ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0/win32/en-US/Firefox Setup 1.0.exe. It is a small 4.7 megabyte download.

For more information about the Firefox browser please visit the Firefox website.

I hope these solutions work for you. Let us know how it works out.

Eric Georgieff
Siliconguide.com
David on July 14, 2005

Hi, I also have the same problem, but I've tried Firefox and it does the same thing...

for example, in firefox, I go to www.java.com, it loads the page and closes the program.

None of my virus scanners have fixed it and I mostly use Norton2005, AdAware and Spybot.

Is there another recommendation you could make?

thanks.
Ryan on August 10, 2005

Anyone know of a fix for this problem? I have the same problem with both IE and Firefox (have updated security patches, newer versions, etc with no luck). It can't be ad-ware since this problem has occured since day one. It happens a lot with web games, such as the ones from pogo & uproar. Occasionally it happens with some regular web pages as well. I'm thinking it may be a java problem as it usually will close on it's own when accessing some java things. I also tried updating java to no avail.
Andrea on August 23, 2005

I downloaded Java software from www.java.com and it fixed the problem for me.
Anselmo on September 30, 2005

I had the same problem with IE and Firefox. I went to Java.com and downloaded the latest Java runtime env.
jre-1_5_0_05-windows-i586-p.exe. After installing it , I still had the same problem. but after going back to java.com and verifying the installation (the web site has a button that does that) my problem was solved.
tandal on February 8, 2006

Downlaoded the Java and validated it, but still has same problem. Any suggestions?
YourDaddy on March 14, 2006

Solution: Go to the java website and perform a manual download. Let the installation complete (you may not get a notification that it has been completed) and try the website again. This worked for me.
philico on April 8, 2006

The registry on your account is possibly corrupted. To test this, create a new account and try the same thing.
tandal on April 10, 2006

Does the same on both accounts on PC. Created a new one, manually downloaded the JAVA etc. Still doing the same. Using Firefox now because cant keep struggling with IE.
sherri on May 6, 2006

I have the same problem - help.....
sherri on May 6, 2006

Yay - it worked. I uninstalled Java & manually reinstalled and it works now. Thanks!
jill on May 23, 2006

I have had a similar problem. Any time i type in a URL (ANY URL), IE closes immediately. It is fine as long as I click only. Ad Aware, Windows Defender, Spybot, RootkitRevealer, etc. haven't found anything that seems very suspect to me (but I'm no expert), and they haven't fixed the problem. The account registry is definitely corrupted. Creating a new user account fixes the problem temporarily but each new account seems to become corrupted within 24-48 hours. Java re-install didn't do anything. Unfortunately, I need IE because my business software/ASP doesn't work with the other browsers. Help!
tandal on May 23, 2006

Created new accounts, uninstalled and downloaded JAVA again and validated. Done everything that has been suggested above. NO JOY STILL!!
robert on June 12, 2006

Followed everyone's advice and still had the same problem. Finally deleted all the cookies and the problem was no more.
darren on June 28, 2006

I am having this problem with internet explorer as well as bearshare.no error message.As soon as i click anything or try to visit any link Ie closes same for bearshare.Installed firefox to search for an answer but I must have IE working as well.I even downloaded the newest version 7 beta.I have never had a problem I could not fix but if anyone has any idea let me know.
Vinh on July 3, 2006

Hey everyone... I have a simerlar problem to you guys. My Internet Explorer closes on me when i type something in the address box. My MSN stoped workiong as well. Any ideas ?
Philip C. Barrett on July 10, 2006

Anytime I open another IE window, the current one closes
nb on July 11, 2006

btw, you people can Spybot Search and destroy too for spyware checking. its free.

Solution for Unexpected PC shutdown
sherri on July 11, 2006

I know it sounds redundant - but completely uninstall java. Go to your control panel and uninstall from your ad/remove programs. Then go to www.java.com and install the complete program. It worked for me. Make sure you delete the program if it still remains from your program files. It should work - if it doesnt, try again. MAKE SURE YOU MANUALLY INSTALL JAVA WHEN GIVEN THE OPTION.
tandal on July 12, 2006

By manualling installing, does that just mean click download, run etc..?? Been trying for ages.
Frank on July 28, 2006

This happened on several machines in my office. After trying everything here, I noticed that the Yahoo toolbar was trying to load something just before IE closed. I uninstalled the toolbar and IE instantly worked. All the users that were affected recently updated Acrobat Reader and the yahoo toolbar is a piggyback install from adobe's site.

Hope this helps.
tandal on July 28, 2006

Upgraded to IE7. Uninstalled JAVA and removed all program files. Downloaded JAVA again. Validated it. Still closes.
Josh on July 31, 2006

Dad had problem today after apparently following a link in chain mail.
Resolved the problem by disabling IE's plug-ins.
WinXP Remedy:
Start->Control Panel (Classic View)->Internet Options->Programs Tab->Manage add-ons... button.
Highlight each plug-in individually and disable it until all are gone.
Make sure IExplore.exe isn't running silently for some reason in the background, or better yet - reboot.
Systematically re-enable plugins one at a time while restarting IE to find the bad plugin.
Reasoning:
For some reason or another, a certain extension program used by IE is failing to work properly, which makes IE panic by closing down.
andrew on August 1, 2006

Deleting all cookies worked for me.
tandal on August 2, 2006

Tried the add-ons idea. Disabled the following add-on:

WebCGMHlprObj Class

IE doesn't close down where it use to anymore, touch wood.
nataha on August 20, 2006

hi,
when i go to some site internet explorer closes on me without any notice. i have deleted cookies and temp files in the internet folder.
i have scanned my computer with adware, an anti virus program but it still hasnt worked,
now i have downloaded firefox and it hasnt shut on me yet but i would like to still be able to use internet explorer, and even if i dont doesnt that mean there must be a virus or spyware ??
tandal on August 20, 2006

Try the following:

Open IE. Go to Tools | Internet Options | Programs | Manage Add-ons.

In the drop down list choose 'Add-ons that have been used by internet explorer'.

Start disabling add-ons from unfamiliar sources like 'CGM Corp, Inc'. I left all the add-ons from Symantec (virus program), Microsoft and Macromedia (shockwave player etc) enabled and all works fine.

Need to repeat these steps for all users on PC.

Good luck
Mohammed on August 29, 2006

Hi

Help!!! I can't seem to open more than one explorer window at one time. Every time I onpen a new one the old one autometicly closes. What can I do?
Help :)

Regard
Mohammed
Kevin on September 8, 2006

I had the same problem, Flash update fixed it
Shawn on September 19, 2006

To:

Mohammed and all others having the "open a new IE window and the old one closes" issue.

This is a toolbar issue via the Yahoo Toolbar.

To correct this issue use one of the following methods to get to the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS:

For Windows 2000, Windows ME or XP Classic view go to:

START - SETTINGS - CONTROL PANEL - ADD\REMOVE PROGRAMS.

For Windows XP default view go to:

START - CONTROL PANEL - ADD\REMOVE PROGRAMS.

Once in the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS window, scroll down until you find the Yahoo Toolbar "plugin/program".

Click to highlight Yahoo Toolbar then click the REMOVE button to uninstall.

This will fix your IE closing the old window when you open another instance of Internet Explorer.

As for the other issue I am seeking the final resolution as well. When I come up with the fix, I will post it here for all to see and use.
Vic on September 21, 2006

Removing Yahoo Toolbar fixed the problem. Not sure how I got the Toolbar in the first place. Hate those things.
van on September 21, 2006

Had the same IE closing problem (I could not even open IE). Removing the Yahoo Toolbar as suggested solved the problem. Thank you for your suggestion.
ryan on September 21, 2006

how do you remove the yahoo! toolbar without opening internet explorer?
daddyo44 on September 21, 2006

Another happy customer -- removed Yahoo Toolbar via Control Panel/Remove Programs and the problem was fixed. The software folks at Yahoo are a bunch of Yahoo's. Their bad.
Joey Cranston on September 21, 2006

Removing Yahoo toolbar per daddyo44 worked for me. Thanks!
Mike on September 22, 2006

Guys, I had this same problem on a home machine. Windows 2000. I uninstalled the yahoo desktop and google desktop stuff. IE works fine now. fyi
ValentSpring on September 22, 2006

First I removed GOOGLE Toolbar. The problem still existed. The problem was solved immediately after YAHOO! Toolbar was removed.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Message to ryan.
You don't have to open Internet Explorer to remove the YAHOO! Toolbar. Use the following:
START -> CONTROL PANEL -> ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS
Find YAHOO! Toolbar and remove it.

Thanks again.
overloved on September 22, 2006

Here’s the fix:

CONTROL PANEL>INTERNET OPTIONS>ADVANCED TAB> UNCHECK THE ENABLE THIRD PARTY BROWSER EXTENSIONS>APPLY>OK>RESTART
seb on September 22, 2006

Hi
I have the same problem. Soon as i open Internet explorer or Firefox ,both browsers close .I changed the hard drive ( with 3 differents ) and it does the same things ( when i tried this hdd on other machine ,no problem ) .I swapped the memory and the cpu ->same problem .I added a network card ->same problem.I don't have any problem to see the server and from the server there is no problem to see the machine .Any one knows what he could be ?
Thanks
Hillary on September 22, 2006

I had the same problem. I removed the "Yahoo Toolbar" program and voila! IE is fine!
Good Advice on September 23, 2006

I really don't understand why ANYONE would continue to use internet explorer anyway - its your own fault if you get a virus or spyware.
OUTJIE on October 4, 2006

I have tried everything you guys proposed. The problem persisted. I have ran spy applications, unabled plug inns, unabled 3rd party programs. Reinstalled IE. Removed Yahoo toolbar. Restarted computer. Problem still occurs. Please HEEEEELP, anybody with a solution.
sebfrogs on October 4, 2006

It was the cpu .Since the change , no problem at all
Dennis on October 5, 2006

This one works for me, in internet explorer, go to TOOLS - INTERNET OPTIONS - PROGRAMS - MANAGE ADD-ONS - then select YAHOO TOOLBAR HELPER and DISABLE it.
Katie on February 4, 2007

OK so here is what worked for me. Completely uninstalling all versions of Java, restarting my computer, installing the newest version of Java, restarting the computer again. So after this I figured I was good, I got onto MySpace and went to send a message to my friend, and it closed again. GRRR! BUT, I noticed an ActiveX control on the page before it closed. So I went back and installed that, it was Adobe Flash Player, and now IE hasn't closed at all in the past 40 minutes, whereas before it was closing sometimes as often as ever minute. Fluke? Possibly. But as long as it's working, I'm totally ok with that.
Jennifer on September 2, 2007

This one worked for me! Thank you so much! I've been trying solve this problem for a long time.

CONTROL PANEL>INTERNET OPTIONS>ADVANCED TAB> UNCHECK THE ENABLE THIRD PARTY BROWSER EXTENSIONS>APPLY>OK>RESTART
sujit on October 28, 2007

Unistalled google toolbar... working well now.. :)thanks everyone
marta on August 1, 2008

I have tried everything suggested on this website and I still have the same problem. I have to have IE inorder to do my work.
Vijay on October 9, 2008

I tried deleting the cookies, browser history, forms data without success. Then uninstalled, from Control panel->"Add or Remove Programs", unnecessary toolbars like AskMe, BearShare's MediaToolBar and it worked! Make sure IE is closed while uninstalling.
Next Page >>Page 1 of 2

Didn't find what you were looking for on this page?
Browse all Software related questions
Browse all Questions and Answers
Copyright © 1999 - 2016 SiliconPharm Corporation, All Rights Reserved