Notice: Undefined index: page in /data/www/siliconguide/qa/thread.php on line 13
miniSD card is write-protected
 Guides:  Drivers | Questions & Answers | Software | Write to Us
Technical Questions and Answers Silicon Guide
Search SiliconGuide:

Questions & Answers > Electronics
Kayleigh on January 5, 2006

I have a Lg phone that has the ability to play mp3 tracks and when I plug my miniSD card into my computer and try to download songs to it a message that says "this disk is write-protected either remove the write-protection or use a different card" appears and it is driving me crazy! help me please tell me step-by-step instructions to remove the write-protection and download my songs from my computer using windows media player
paul on January 9, 2006

i am having the same problem too
dawg on January 27, 2006
RE: miniSD card is write-protected

you must be using an adapter?...
There's a white slide on the side. It says lock.
That may be the problem.
Unlock the card. Retry....
dawg on January 27, 2006

then you should be able to just click and drag songs to your folders..
KJ on June 17, 2006

althought i unlock the adapter already but it still show the same problem 'this disk is write-protected either remove the write-protection or use a different card',so is there anyway else to remove the write protection thourgh computer?
chris on July 8, 2006

I had the same problem with my lg fusic.. all i did was format the disk through the option on the phone and it worked fine afterwards
nishchay on July 19, 2006

hey...my mini sd card dosnt have any lock or switch...and i dont want to format it...can u plz help me??
George on September 22, 2006

same shit for me. im usen a920. i formated it on my phone an no luck.
vivek on September 24, 2006

I have a pda phone that has the ability to play mp3 tracks and when I plug my miniSD card into my computer and try to download songs to it a message that says "this disk is write-protected either remove the write-protection or use a different card" appears and it is driving me crazy! help me please tell me step-by-step instructions to remove the write-protection and download my songs from my computer using windows media player
Kayleigh on September 24, 2006

Well ya'll have to make sure that the gray button on the left side of the PC Adapter is not on lock because that is what ended up happening to me
Reece on October 1, 2006

im not using an adapter,theres nothing else tht can help,please som1 help me please~!
Ovidiu on November 24, 2006

You have to put some opaque tape over that side seat. Does not work with transparent tape.

Succes,
Ovi
carlos on November 27, 2006

im having the same problem with my mini ds card!!!!! please help I just want to play mp3s on my phone
Cecil on December 10, 2006

I've tired putting tape on the white strip on the mini sd, i have tried ejecting it and all that shit, and all i want to do is put songs on the card and use my PHONE!
can anybody please please help me?
kevin on January 5, 2007

I tried using the adapter but the lock switch fell off...is there any other way help
gabe on January 12, 2007

omggggggggggggggg...im having same problem...
SOME1 help meeeeeee
anjdza on January 24, 2007

Can someone tell mee All folder names what is on miniSD card , because i suddenly format it from my PC and my phone don't read it any more . help mee..
Howard Stern on February 12, 2007

I had this problem and the tape (small amount of masking tape) trick solved it for me.

thanks
jesse on February 19, 2007

my lock is off and i've tried formatting it. it still doesn't work.
Olivier on February 20, 2007

Could anyone please explain the tape trick a bit more?

With photos?

Thanks
You Know on February 26, 2007

how can you format your miniSD Card?
WhyIzThisSoHard on March 2, 2007

Same problem with 2g Sandisk Mini SD

Please help me.
AWWWEESSSOMEEE on March 6, 2007

YESS!!!! all i did was unlocked to sd card thingy and it worked....i feel so stupid
Neel on March 6, 2007

same problem here....it says its write protected...and i cant any mp3's through my computer, only through bluetooth(phone to phone)...i thought i bought a cheap adapter, but everyone else seems to have the same problem...can anyone help...can someone explain this tape thing more thoroughly, i dunno where to put it...thanks
Steph on March 13, 2007

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_remove_write_protection_from_a_mini_SD_card

This place told me how to make the miniSD work... Hope it helps.
marian on March 17, 2007

put glue on that litle button on the left side of the Adapter .Make sure it is doesn't move.IT wil be work.(inside of the Adaptor that litle button make a contine circuit.....you can see if you look carfuly ...(scuze my bad english...i'm forom romania)
Ryan on March 26, 2007

Related Q... I have a 1 gig mini SD card that says it is locked. I can access all the pics but not delte or write. How do yo unlock? No marks or white strips, no adapters etc. Just a 1 Gig Mini Sd.
Thanks
Ryan
gemma-leigh on March 30, 2007

help me!!!! i have a 64mb miniSD card and everytime i try to put music on or take pics off it says the it has write protection, how do i get this off?!?!?!??! please help me

gemzzy xx
desperate housewife on April 6, 2007

anyone finally did it with the tape?
can anyone explain it please...
i got a mini sd card,connected through cable is read only.
my card has a small white sticker on the back of it already.
jamie on April 14, 2007

hi,
i thought that the 'tape' idea was a load of crap but i tried it anyway and i laughed my head of cause it acctually did work.
TRY IT!!!
jamie on April 14, 2007

place a small bit of tape over the slot that says lock, making sure it is unlocked and making sure it was not covering the metal bits then put it in your sd slot and wallar hehe!!!
Casey on May 23, 2007

***The Tape Trick***

What you have to do is put the tape on there so it "Jams" the lock switch upward into the "Unlocked" position. You place the tape on there so the switch cant move at all
pudud on May 28, 2007

same problem with a 2G mini sd card, I am NOT using any adapter with it.
peggy on June 8, 2007

i have a camera and it wont let me delete some of my pictures and i need to but it says that the disk iss write protected. how do i delete the pictures if it is write protected
M.Cox on June 25, 2007

My mini-SD works fine in my phone, but is "write protected" in ANY PC I try with the included adapter. I've taped over the slot on the side (there is no "slide" mechanism, or any other lock) and I've re-formatted it. Nothing works. Ideas?
jamie on June 26, 2007

i had same problem it is to to with i little notch on the other side of the card not the side with the lock on it i then put tape on that notch and works fine in my pc
Greg on July 19, 2007

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_remove_write_protection_from_a_mini_SD_card

This solution sounded crazy at first but it worked. Every card I was using would have a write protection error. I thought my phone was corrupting the card. I opened up my reader and there was a little metal tab that has to be depressed in order for the card to be written to. I bent it out in the same direction it would be pushed in for an unlocked card and it worked. The only downside is the reader no longer acknowledges when a cardis in the lock mode.
Jon on August 23, 2007

I have a miniSD card that fits into a standard SD card that fits into a USB adapter. The lock switch is on the standard SD card and it was loose. Every time I tried to put it into the USB adapter in the unlocked position, it always got bumped back to the lock position.

I finally just set it to the unlocked position and then squeezed the plastic around the slider until I heard a click. I tried it again and this time it worked. Now all I have to do is figure out how to convert mp3s into ring tones and then I can listen to Tay Zonday anytime I get a call! LOL
hiren on August 30, 2007

my mmcard is lock you pasward help
Erik on September 9, 2007

i have pictures and im wondering is this where the slider thing should be? and where do i apply the tape.......

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/8277/spa0604ub8.jpg

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5321/spa0605tm2.jpg

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/7218/spa0606bi9.jpg
dee on September 15, 2007

ive got a 64mb mini sd card for my fone and the same story it was workin fine at first and now i cant use it, just says turn off write protection or use another disk. thers no such tng as a switch on my adapter like all ther is is the slide for the cards to go in! is it on the inside of the adaptor by any change?? will i have to take the thing apart?? its just a mobile card reader thers no switches on the outside! plz help !!!
sameer on October 7, 2007

I had same problem..
after reading some of the posts from here
i took a tape and i hold the white button on the card down and taped it... that's who it turns off the write protection..

See guys there is a white button on one of the card's side... it's very loose.. it swipes up and down.. and when you put it on ur computer the button goes all the way up and makes the write protection on..
thx.. hope this helpss..
djsubculture on October 23, 2007

I placed clear tape over the left hand edge of my Mini SD adaptor, placed it in my USB card reader and voila! it worked.
priyesh on October 27, 2007

i have got the same problem
plz help me out
Mark on November 11, 2007

Try the tape thing. It worked for me
hafiz on November 15, 2007

I have a same problem.which i cant formatted the disc at all.when formmatted disc is running,lastly it will be promt.the disc is write protected
jordan on December 9, 2007

my card said write protectedwhen i pressed format so i unlocked it and then locked it again and it worked my card is a simpletech in a nokia 6265i
yasin on December 14, 2007

i am trying to save mp3 files to my memory card it can not save formate it . it display the memory card is write protected so please help me how to release the write production step by step procedure as early as possible
dd on December 24, 2007

This worked, i was shocked.

Thanks guys :)
Winston on December 27, 2007

OK.. I had the same problem.. when i used the mini sd card directly in my card reader, i get the write protection error message.. So I dug up an old mini SD to SD adapter and I put my mini SD in this. Then I inserted the whole SD adapter into my card reader. And guess what? It works now.. I can read and write to my mini sd card.. funny... but try this.. somehow the mini sd to SD adapter forces the mini sd card into write mode..
Next Page >>Page 1 of 3

Didn't find what you were looking for on this page?
Browse all Electronics related questions
Browse all Questions and Answers
Copyright © 1999 - 2016 SiliconPharm Corporation, All Rights Reserved