Guides:  Drivers | Questions & Answers | Software | Write to Us
Technical Questions and Answers Silicon Guide
Search SiliconGuide:

CD Rom Door won't open or close w/o man.opening

Questions & Answers > PC Hardware
Melody on July 2, 2005
RE: CD Rom Door won't open or close w/o man.opening

2nd messages about my problem on the cd tray.
The light does not come on either. It does not eject. Icon is gone also. Can someone make a suggestion? As I said in message above, Its a Dell 2000xp
Patrick Bastien on July 2, 2005

I dont see the use no questions are getting answered.
Luis on July 20, 2005

My ATAPI CDRW does not open the tray. When I hit eject I hear it attempting to open and after a couple of seconds the lights go on but the tray does not open.

Is there a fix for this. I unplugged my PC and tried the eject with just power on my PC and it works fine, able to open and close it using the button. I know it is software related but I don't know how to fix it. Any ideas?
Azan on July 21, 2005

my cd wont eject and now it is stuck wat do i do with the hole and the small pin
cory on July 27, 2005

I have a new dell computer that is only 3 months old and when I try to open the cd rom door nothing happens. There is power to it becaue the led light is on.

could some one please help me with my problem
Sue on July 31, 2005

I have a similar problem -- I've written to a CD-RW but now the drive won't eject. I found the list of all of your questions in this thread but none of the responses. Are there answers out there? Please advise. Thanks
Hoolio on August 7, 2005

I recentely bought a used computer with Windows 2000 installed. Everything works fine, except that the CD tray won't open.
Is there a command or something to fix this problem?
Mel on August 10, 2005
RE: CD Rom Door won't open or close w/o man.openin

I have the identical problem reported here in dizzying frequency. However I don't see any solutions advanced. Are there any or is it that they are placed somewhere else. Please assist
bob on August 11, 2005

why can't anyone answer these freaking questions!!
i have the same problem
some guy on August 13, 2005

Got mine to open. I went into the bios and I was looking at the IDE menu and nothing was wrong. So I got all mad and started jamming on the button on my drive over and over. Then after a few seconds the thing opened. Yay? I wonder what happened? Seems to be working now.

You might want to check your settings anyway. Maybe they are messed up. If that isn't the problem then maybe the jumpers on the drives are messed up. And if that doesn't work you could get mad and jam on the button over and over like me haha.
john on August 16, 2005

i think it has to do with the grease on the moving mechanism. I don't know how to solve the problem but if you stick a pin next to the whole by the eject button that works; assuming you have a dell like me.
Piggy on August 22, 2005

hi,
im dvd/Cd-rom door wont close. i fixed it before but now the same solution wont work anymore. does anyone know how to fix it so it wont happen again.

the last time i fixed it, i closed the door manually and held it there and then pressed the eject buttom. did it a couple times and the door remained closed and functional. now it just pops out, and its a pain in the butt. its still funcitional i dont want to buy another dvd/cd-rom drive.

any help?suggestions?
Piggy on August 22, 2005

ops, forgot to mention that its a laptop dvd/cd-rom

=P
Flor on August 27, 2005

I tried the suggestion about pusing a small pin on the hole close to the eject button. I did not work.
HELP PLEASE.
PatB on August 29, 2005

Well, here's one more. Actually I have two CD ROM drives locked shut on different computers. Both act exactly the same: Pressing the eject button causes a quiet rumbling sound and the door moves out a fraction of an inch, back in, then nothing. Right click on the device on MyComputer and select "EJECT" and the same thing happens. The "paper clip in the little hole" emergency open works fine. The doors slide in and out freely. I can do further testing, reset BIOS, disassemble one of them, whatever, just tell me what to look for.
Jonathan on August 30, 2005

Do this:

Open up your computer while it's off, and unplug your problem drive from your power source. Then plug it back in. Turn on your computer, and it should be working fine now! Worked for me!
pissed on September 4, 2005
RE: CD Rom Door won't close

it just happened to me - my cd-rom door will not
cloe properly. When I hit the button, I hear a
series of clicks as if to seem like the door is
attempting to close but not grabbing. Can this
be fixed or do I need a new cd-rom drive?!?!?!
piggy on September 4, 2005

Re: piss

laptop or PC?
Mike on September 5, 2005

Hi people wake up, I think their is no one that could help you out their, they just want to add more hits hahahahaha
Craig on September 6, 2005

Try using Disk Management under Computer Management. Right click on the drive and then select "Eject".

Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Computer Management >> Disk Management >> Eject

My guess is that there is some program still trying to access the drive and has it lock down. I just installed Zone Alarm Suite so I'm assuming that ZA might have something to do with it.

Craig
Str8nge on September 9, 2005

You can try two things, first thing, if the cdrom also happens to be a cdrw then deinstall and reinstall the burn software. Second thing, Like the above mentioned, open up the caseing and disconnect the grey cable and the power cable connected to the cdrom, reconnect and reboot also make sure that plug and play is activated in your bios setup.
Mary Redmond on September 25, 2005

Craig's suggestion helped - got an 'eject failed' message, tried the paper clip and eject button and it now seems to open and close Ok. I'd just burned a couple of data files (InCD).

Mary
Sim on October 12, 2005

hey on my lap top i can open my msn messenger and downloed stuff from it but when i try to open a webpage it doesnt open. it says
"page can not be displayed"
Amir Nikfekr on October 17, 2005
CD Drive Won't Open!

Hi,
my Cd drive hasn't opend in about 1 year now, when i push the button the light doesn't go on at all and the drive itself wont open.
I've tried 2 pull it out but i just couldnt manage. Please help me some one and i'd be happy with any advice.
Ridge on October 30, 2005

Here is something you can try that seemed to fix my problem. Restart your computer. Wait until your computer shuts down, restarts, and tests your memory and drives (which is just before Windows begins loading) and press 'Pause/Break' on your keyboard. Now press the eject button on your CD or DVD drive. It should be working normally. If that is the case then hit the 'Esc' key on your keyboard and continue loading Windows. When Windows finishes loading and you're back at your Windows desktop, try the eject button on your optical drive again. All things being equal, it should be working normally again. Be blessed.
kempton nurse on November 3, 2005
dvd drive does not open

hi. i have a problem. when i turn on my computer, the dvdrom/rw drive drive is not opening, the light on the drive is on at all times(not flashing just on).After the memory test, the displas shows please insert system disk snd press enter. but i cannot get the drive to open. i also just connected a floppy disk drive and it is not working. when the computer starts up both drive lights are on. but is not working. please help me. thank you in advance.
bobby on December 5, 2005

how do you open the door to the cd
Jallen on December 6, 2005

to the poster kempton nurse:

If your floppy light is constantly on the data cable is on upsidedown. There is a mark or red line on the pin 1 of a cable to indicate where it goes on a drive. The drive also should have a mark indicating where pin 1 is. Ussually pin 1 is closer to the power connection. so line up your red line on the cable to pin 1 on the drive.

To use the hole to manually eject your CD drive you press a paper clip inside which releases the motor gears like a cluch. Then you have to manually pull the sliding door open.
tom on December 17, 2005

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried almost everything when my door wouldn't open. Ended up pushing the button and prying door open with a butter knife. Turns out my 2 year old put a floppy disk in the d drive.
Natxx on December 23, 2005

omg thankz for ur great advice, afta lyk 4 monthz i hav my cd drive open!!!!!! wahoooooooooooooooo luv yalllllll
Jeremy on December 26, 2005

I have a toshiba satellite A65 laptop that wouldn't open its cd/dvd drive but I messed around with it and found that if I hight lighted another drive and pressed ok on the hardware tab on the properties of the cd drive it worked fine and ran cds well

My computer (make sure no cd is in drive)-right click on cd drive- select properties- hardware tab- select different drive- press ok

I ran a cd and went back, and it selected the other drive that I had just clicked off of but it still worked fine (I was playing civilization 4, which I think caused the problem, not sure if it was caused by the game pushing what my laptop can do, or it is just buggy on laptops).
WAS321 on January 7, 2006

I solved this problem by re-installing the CD ROM. You must force the computer to reinstall by manually selecting the device and then manually selecting a driver. Don't let the computer tell you the driver is working. Select one--if it doesn't work, go through the process and select another. For me the problem was the driver
Leo on January 9, 2006

I'm a computer hobyist and have accumulated quite a few drives that won't open.Pushing the eject button or ejecting from explorer dont work.They just cause the led to blink and u can hear the motor trying to open the tray but can't.I do this with just power to the drive and not connected to the pc. I've opened all these drives and the common problem seems to be that the magnetic pull between the hub and the counter plate above it seems too strong for the motor. This is why having a disk inside may allow it to open.I've tried several things like putting a spacer between,even tried replacing the motor and adding greese to the railings. Nothing really worked.I really miss those old manually loading trays.Pity because most of these drives still read well. I'm still looking for a cure but for now unless you want to use a pin to open the drive or permanently park a disk inside, for drives with this problem looks like replacing it is the only solution.
Renee on January 9, 2006

I tried using the computer management route but there was no button for ejecting my disk. I had been installing software for a new printer and now I am unable to get the disk out of the disk drive. I have checked all the connections. Does anyone have another idea?? the lights are not on for the driver.
henry edwards on January 10, 2006
dvd drive

door won't open
Henry Edwards on January 10, 2006
RE: DVD DRIVE DOOR WON'T OPEN

I'm having trouble with my DVD Drive. I am unable to open my DVD Rom at all. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance. My DVD drive is right above the CD drive the CD Rom has a little pin hole that a safety pin or paper clip whatever can be insert inside and the drive’s door will open's but the DVD drive has no such pin hole. Help please…
Dave Duncan on January 30, 2006

Henry

Same damn problem with my Inspiron 1150. Has anyone helped you?
Derek on February 7, 2006

Dave and Henry, I have a Sony Vaio with a DVD-ROm and I have the same danm problem also. Ive tried ripping off the front panel of it so I can only see the tray part, but I can't get it open. Ive tried a knife but Im getting no where. I need someones help please...??
Dave Duncan on February 7, 2006

I used the paper clip in the hole trick until I had had enought..

I went back to Dell and got a new drive. The new one worked right away.. Turns out lots of folks are having that Dell problem.. As read on the net...
Derek on February 8, 2006

I put a light in the drive and since I ripped off the interface panel of the drive, I was facing the tray outside. So I got a small flat top screwdriver and pushed the gear around. When the panel is off, the tray reveals two holes, both which access the gears inside. At this stage, its easy to push the gears around and move the tray in or out. It ends up that a gear was moved to the top of its axle, where its not supposed to be. The plastic part was broken, but its good now.
Rupa on February 16, 2006

I want to buy replacement belts for the CD tray on a Gateway Desktop E-series (CD RW / DVD drive manufactured by LG). Do you know who sells them? I work for a school and the kids are removing the belts from the CD drive. Gateway wants me to buy an entirely new CD drive for $100.00.
Cathy on February 24, 2006

My CD rom tray is jammed shut, I mean tightly, and won't budge. May have been bumped into when tray was open. No disc inside. Can there be a broken piece inside, preventing it from openiong?Is there a safe way to open it manually?
daved on February 24, 2006

Look for a small hole in the front of the tray or just below it. Push a straightened paper clip in the hole. It should open.
William on March 29, 2006

I tried Craig's suggestion:
-------------------------------------------------
Try using Disk Management under Computer Management. Right click on the drive and then select "Eject".

Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Computer Management >> Disk Management >> Eject

My guess is that there is some program still trying to access the drive and has it lock down. I just installed Zone Alarm Suite so I'm assuming that ZA might have something to do with it.

Craig

----------------------------------------------
But need to shut down Zone Alarm before doing that. It works for me now. Thanks Craig.
By the way, this happened to me after updating Zone Alarm.

William
thomas chi on April 6, 2006

I simply got a really small flat screwdriver and did it the old fashion way, with force. works fine now.
maria on April 9, 2006

i dont see these questions beenm answered... help..
maria on April 9, 2006

i have the same problem with my dell computer..its just wont open even when i try with a screw driver..it wont open either when i try eject in my computer. when i click the reject button it makes a clicking noise but it just wont open... help plez...
Joseph Shead on April 12, 2006

There is more than one problem being talked about here. It
sounds like some people have a software problem, and others,
like me have a hardware problem, and there is more than one of
each of those. It could be in the land of firmware, ultimately,
or just heat.

I had a problem similar to this with an Acer CD-RW drive, model
1832A-002. On mine, it would push the tray out a quarter inch
or so, and then it would go back in, and then repeat that cycle
once more. It gradually got worse over several months, so that
it eventually would just make the noises, without being able to
push the tray out at all. I also got mad like some guy up
there, when I decided it would have to be thrown away anyway,
and just kept pushing the eject button, repeatedly -- it's a
very good technique for opening the door.

Leo's discussion (1/09/2006) helped, by pointing to the magnet.
It turned out it wasn't the magnet or counter-plate on mine. It
looked that way, because it would start to open, and when it
got right to the point of breaking the connection between the
electromagnet and the plate, it couldn't do it. I had the drive
taken apart while doing this testing, and could even help it by
manually prying the magnet away from the plate at just the
right moment. Like Leo, I had tried month's ago to re-grease
things, but that didn't do it.

One thing that has to be understood is that the motor (I think)
has a detector in it for resistance, so that if something gets
in the way while it is pushing the tray out, it will detect
this, and tell the controller chips, and they'll reverse the
motion and make it go back in. So, when certain people describe
it trying a couple of times to open the door, a quarter inch or
so, and then going back in, I think this is what is happening.

Anyway, the problem on my drive was the belt. They have a
little rubber belt, like a rubber band, but better material,
and it got weak over the years. That is, a key mechanical
component was made of rubber or plastic. What I did was to buy
a little bag of VCR drive belts. I ended up taking a big one,
that was the right thickness for the pulleys, and fitted it to
the pulleys. Then I cut it, and glued the two ends together
with epoxy. The belt has a significant bump in it. When I put
it in, I figured it wouldn't work, but I reassembled the drive,
and it does work. In fact, it works perfectly now. It's a
strong little motor.

The terrible thing is, the belt wasn't the only problem. CD-Rom
drives have a few chips on them with bad heat problems. Mine
had three chips heat-sinked to the case -- not a good a
solution. Who says the drive case is cool? At this point, the
door opens and closes just fine, but the big chip finally
burned up in the process.

Thanks,

Joseph Shead
President
Shead Programming
Vincent on June 14, 2006

I have the same problem when using Toddler Keys.
This has a specific feature to lock drives for kids. I just didn't remember it, so it took me a while before I found the culprit.

When configurating it the right way my DVD player ejects normally.

Vincent
zim on February 26, 2007

when i try to erased data on the cd-rw disc, the disc had actually boken inside the cdrom. and then i try to get the broken disc inside it and then when i try to close the cdrom drive, it will not close. will the broken disc can damage the recorder?
<< Previous Page  Next Page >>Page 2 of 3

Didn't find what you were looking for on this page?
Browse all PC Hardware related questions
Browse all Questions and Answers
Copyright © 1999 - 2016 SiliconPharm Corporation, All Rights Reserved