Guides:  Drivers | Questions & Answers | Software | Write to Us
Technical Questions and Answers Silicon Guide
Search SiliconGuide:

write protection

Questions & Answers > PC Hardware
Girima on October 5, 2007
RE: write protection

my memory has write protection enabled .... how do one disable it??? its gettin on my nerves.... i get pissed by it everytime i try to delete some stuff using the com
Alltel on October 5, 2007
Memory Card Write Protection

hey there everybody. I discovered that if you are trying to sync your playlists from Windows Media player and you are using a SanDisk Secure Digital (SD) memory card for a device, make sure that they gray switch on the side of the card is on unlocked. Oitherwise, you will get the error message "media is write protected." It does this bc the actual card is in read only status and you cannot add/remove music/media. AND....if your interested in a PDA that can play music and work on the internet high-speed, just email me. Thanks!
jak on November 17, 2007

u guys i am ike so mad right now. everytime i try to put somethin on my mp3 it says write protected. its not on hold or anything i tried it while its locked and unlocked. plz somebody help me i beg u!!!!!!! i will get down to my knees and beg u all plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dean on November 18, 2007

I have a Sandisk microSD 2.0gb with SD adapter. The lock switch is NOT on and whenever I try to add files to the memory card it says "write protected". This card is absolutely useless to me - does anyone know how to make this work?
rochelle on November 24, 2007

im having a problem tryin 2 put songs on to my mp3 player and every time i try to it says that the media is write protected can any1 help me out im gettin really frustrated can any1 help me out plz?
khib on November 29, 2007

On the Mini SD adapter, there is a small lock tap button,you push down usually when you put your mini SD card in to it, then into the USB adapter. To turn off the write protection on your mini SD, simply do not lock your mini SD in its adapter.(see your adapter first,if you used it)
luis on December 9, 2007

ey i have a micro sd and its 1 Gb and it doesnt even have a unlock/lock swicth on it. I used to be able to put and remove songs but now it says that it is write protected. help plz
Kevin on January 4, 2008
music on computer write protected.

I'm trying to load music from my computer to my mp3 player but it keeps popping up a window saying the disk is write protected. How do I get around this? My mp3 player is worthless until this problem gets resolved.

Thanks,
Kevin
Hanna Lee on January 16, 2008
USB Key Write Protection

hey does anyone know how to remove the write protection from a usb key?
i've been having issues with it since last night.
i do NOT know what's wrong with it.

someone please come to my rescue!!

thanks so much.
shizo on January 28, 2008

Using SD card reader on a PC:
Open File Explorer, select SD card reader device. Or, in XP or Windows 2000, select My Computer icon, right-click the icon and select the Card Reader Device. Now right-click the mouse button and select “Format” from the pop-up menu. The formatting will commence.
Using PC with SD slot or PCMCIA/SD adapter:
Select the ‘Start’ menu button on your desktop. Select the item ‘Run’. In the pop-up box type in the command ‘FORMAT’. (For help on this command, use ‘FORMAT /?’) . To start the formatting of the SD card, please enter following observing the syntax accurately: %Drive% /FS:FAT /V:HP49GSD /A:8192 where %Drive% means letter of drive SD card – e.g. G: The SD Card will be formatted.
Using handheld device with SD slot:
You may have to install an application, which supports the formatting of the SD card. For example, the “Pocket Mechanic” or some similar application that is available. Then run this application on your handheld and format the SD card.
Using hp49g+ calculator:
The simplest way to format the SD Card is using your hp49g+ calculator. You have to access the system menu using the combination of the keys ON and D (F4 key), which you have to press both together. Now,first release “D” key. When you are in this system menu, there is an item shown as “9.FORMAT”. Select this item, and you are required to supply the size/capacity of your SD Card.. You can select from 8 MB up to 128 MB according the size of your SD card. If the card is not already inserted, you wil be now asked to insert the SD Card. After selecting the size of your card, you are asked to press the ENTER key to start the formatting. When the formatting is completed, you will see a message confirming this “FORMAT FINISHED. PRESS ANY KEY EXIT”.

candy on February 13, 2008

i see how to remove write protection "before" you've put files on the SD card, but what do i do now that i already have 3 files on the card...? thnx much
John on February 14, 2008

If you put tape where the lock and unlock (on both of them) is on the memory card, it will take care of your problem instantly. It really works, try it.
vishal on February 26, 2008

when i try to formar a memry card than display a message of "disk is write protected"pls give me answer ok
nagarajan on February 28, 2008

i had a mini sdcard for using nokia 7610 mobile. recently i had a message alert like your card is write protected. i cant add the file in my chip. pls tell how should i remove write protection and what is the procedure. tell me details. if include any software packages also/ note down the web site name
thank u
on March 8, 2008

tips worked well
it is all about the lock tab
you must take out the sd from the adapter and unlock it, then replace it. not unlock it with micro sd inside. thanks for all your help!
MAKE SURE YOU TAKE OUT THE CARD THEN UNLOCK!
vivek on March 21, 2008

i have a micro sd card and its 1 Gb and the lock/unlock switch of adapter is not on. I used to be able to put and remove songs but now it says that disk is write protected.how do i remove write protection. help plz
James on March 22, 2008

I have a 1 Gb SD card and the switch came off and i lost the switch. So it is stuck on the locked position. Any help?
mehdi on March 30, 2008

when i try to format a usf falash than display a message of "disk is write protected" pls give me answer ok?
warren b/ shane on April 1, 2008

Its easy, the card is write protected as it has had a password put on it on the phone. Go ointo settings/memory on the phone and remove the password. It will warn you its no longer write protected. Then put it in the PC and it will be accessible
josh on May 5, 2008

I got a generic usb 2.0 SD/MMC/RS-MMC card reader device and no matter what I put in it (1gb and 2gb SD cards, microSD to SD adapter) I cannot add/remove files and cannot format. I've made sure its not the lock tab and have tried flipping the lock switch to middle- supposedly a trick to try.

I've done a lot of searching and asking around and have yet to figure out how to resolve this problem. I'm doubtful I will too because I read on WikiAnswers about a copyright and therefore the write protection can't be removed.

Any help/advice would be really awesome. Thanks
Jaymes on May 15, 2008

hi! im having a problem with my SD memory card,. i exprerienced the Lock tab/ unlock tab before and it works,.. but 2nd time around, my card suddenly locked again, and i did the same procedure,.. but its not working,.. can you help me unlock my SD memory card? T_T
god on May 15, 2008

1. Click Start->Run.

2. Type regedit and click OK.

3. Save your registry settings by clicking file > Export > save. This is the bacup taken in case something messes up.

4. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE by clicking on the + sign next to it.

5. Open SYSTEM by clicking the plus sign next to it.

6. Open CurrentControlSet.

7. Open Control.

8. Open StorageDevicePolicies

9. Right click on WriteProtect and click modify.

10. If the value data is 1 change it 0 and click ok.

11. Repeat steps 7 to 10 for ControlSet001 and ControlSet002 .

12. Close Registry editor and its done. You might have to reboot.
srinivas on May 16, 2008

when i try to format my memory card it shows up the msg write protected.how can i remove write protection.
kayleigh on May 17, 2008

I have tried takin the memory card out and flickin the lock switch but still not havin any luck what so ever, gettin annoyed please help before it goes across the wall!!!
soroccoheaven on May 19, 2008

try this ..check your lock switch and if it is in 'locked' position first "REMOVE THE CARD FROM ADOPTER" ..and position your switch to "unlock" and now insert the card again.and try again..this will do the trick.
yogesh patil on May 28, 2008

please give me the answer how to remove the write protection from my memory card (mini sd)
sadique on June 10, 2008

i have a card reader its sd/mmc/rs-mmc usb 2.o whenever i add any file into it it shows write protection and even dont allow anything to be removed from it. i have checked for the lock if present but even theres no lock on the card reader stick, so can any1 help me out please
ajay kumar on June 10, 2008

whenever i inserted memory card in card reader they show something write protection.i can not copy mp3 or other files.plz tell me what can i do?guide me.
mattie on June 10, 2008

i have a Scandisk SD card, and when I try to recover my picture on it, it says Memory Card
LOCKED. I tried flipping the unlock switch but nothing will allow to recover my pictures...
anyone ha any suggestions??? Please write to mattie@pacific.net.sg
strive to win on June 13, 2008

hello friends, i have a problem with my multi media card(MMC), its write protected, i cant copy r delete files in MMC, i tried to format my card also, but the error message says, its write protected.... there is no lock in my MMC.IS IT VIRUS..?how to solve this problem, even i used formatting software but its not says the same.... PLZ HELP ME FRIENDS...
MAIL TO bvdsabaripandiyan@yahoo.com
STRIVE TO WIN on June 13, 2008

I tried these steps also, 8th point storage device policies is not there in control. give some other solution...
1. Click Start->Run.

3. Save your registry settings by clicking file > Export > save. This is the bacup taken in case something messes up.

7. Open Control.

12. Close Registry editor and its done. You might have to reboot
Brittany on June 18, 2008

for the unwritable subject...if its on a memory card... go to the actual card and take it out... look on on the memory card and theres this little button that you can move... to lock it. unlock it. idk how mine got locked...but i looked and it was...and that fixed it.
Cement Isaac on June 20, 2008

hey guys regedit worked out for me, try it guys,......
Jaymz on June 21, 2008

I have a Katana II Deluxe and just got a 1gig card and I had the same problem so heres what you do, go into the phone settings and goto Micro SD you can format it from within the phone settings. I did that and I can now put songs on my phone. Thanks for all the answers it really helped.
FromLastNight on June 23, 2008

I tried using the regedit thing but I couldn't find the StorageDevicePolicies. My memory card is a 1GB mini SD card connected to the adapter that is unlocked. And my memory card reader is Lexar Media. Can anyone help?
charanjyot sinhg on July 7, 2008

I tried these steps also, 8th point storage device policies is not there in control. give some other solution...
1. Click Start->Run.

7. Open Control.

12. Close Registry editor and its done. You might have to reboot

That's incorrect windows doesnot have path in regeistery regarding system storage policy
EDY on July 11, 2008

I dont have 8. Open StorageDevicePolicies

can you be more acurate or copy the adress exactly?
hannah-- on July 14, 2008

ive tried the regedit thing but i dont seem to have "StorageDevicePolicies" its pretty much none existant on my pc

any help would be great
ashu on July 16, 2008

write protection how do you remove write protection? when I try to delete an old song or add a new song into my mp3 player it says "remove the write-protection or use another disk." what does that mean and how do you
Ian on July 26, 2008

Yep mine doesn't have the StorageDevicePolicies either.. :(
Maria on July 29, 2008

Waaaah!!! It doesnt work!!! I've tried everything!!! I tried the regedit thing but i dun have the StorageDevicePolicies!!!! HELP!
VISHU on July 29, 2008

well me with the same thing,i also don't have storage device policy,plz help me out...
Aly on August 8, 2008

i am too suffering from above problem no storage device policy
jessica on August 9, 2008

OMG I HAV NO IDEA
i put the SD thingy in my usb thing and i tried the READ ONLY thing with the properties and it doesnt work! please help
my computer man doesnt know either booohoooo!! =[
cnmc on August 10, 2008

MY PHONE'S MEMORY CARD WON'T SHOW UP ON MY MENU
AND IT SAYS 'PHMLE'
TROUBLE on September 8, 2008

I have the 1gig sd card for my phone and was having this problem too.. the unlock setting just WORKED.. no write protection warning nuthin.. so yea TRY IT
mel on September 20, 2008

this stit is retarded. it does not work. i cant find storage device polices?
deuceviii on September 22, 2008

HERES ANOTHER SOLUTIION!!!!!
Well to make it simple for you guys I've only found one solution. I also tried everything from the unlock switch which was like a big duh!!! to the storage device polices(which i also didn't have)to the switch setting in the memory card Now that I've kinda messed around with it Ive come to the conclusion that the adapters are whats wrong if your inserting your disk directly into a slot try to connect your device with a USB port. In my case I use a card reader so I inserted my memory card into the card reader which has a usb port and connected it to the computer and it let me put the music in my card NO PROBLEM!!! I had a SD SO IM NOT SURE IF IT ILL WORK WIT OTHERS BUT IT SHOULD. Try it and I hope I just saved your lives.
janjan on September 25, 2008

wow..we all have the same problem.. ive read his solution and tried it but WTF this guy is nuts.. i hope we find somebody who can gives us accurate solution..
EMZY on September 29, 2008

TRY SWITCHING THE GREY BUTTON ON SIDE OF SD CARD TO UNLOCK!! SIMPLE BUT EASY TO MISS~!!
<< First Page  << Previous Page  Next Page >>Page 3 of 5

Didn't find what you were looking for on this page?
Browse all PC Hardware related questions
Browse all Questions and Answers
Copyright 1999 - 2016 SiliconPharm Corporation, All Rights Reserved